Training of Trainers
The training program emphasises the performance improvement of training experts and institutions by a set of «Capacity-to-Build-Capacity» activities.
The concept offers a series of «Training of Trainers» courses which are developed to strengthen competencies with regard to design, implementation and marketing of training courses, mainly for water sector services providers. The concept can easily be adapted to other fields.
The ToT modules consist of three subsequent trainings:
- ToT 1: Course Design & Trainer’s Role as a Facilitator
- ToT 2: Methods and Instruments for effective and up-to-date Trainings
- ToT 3: Practical development of an own course curriculum
A web-based reporting and monitoring tool helps to structure, prepare and follow-up the regional ToTs. This concept proved to be highly effective. The following recommendations are identified as crucial for the success of the concept:
- The 3 courses should build on each other
- The participants group must stay together for all three courses
- The course target is the training manual which is developed at the end of the ToT series. It has to meet the demand of the local actors (for instance decentralized sanitation) and the demand of the participants.
The emphasis on self-organized learning, participant-centered processes keeps the level of motivation and engagement high and creates an «ownership» among the participants.